Hardwood flooring ages and matures over time with exposure to UV light. All wood floors will eventually darken, fade or lighten depending on the species and how exposed they are to the sun. The majority of the aging process occurs within 3-6 months and continues for the life of the floor. Pravada Floors’ 35-year limited warranty
does not cover colour deterioration resulting
HOW TO PREVENT FADING AND LIGHTSENSITIVITY
To reduce fading and lightsensitivity effects on your floors, here are a few ways that, combined all together, can greatly slow down the process of fading/darkening/bleaching of floors:
• Area-rugs and furniture should be shifted regularly to promote even exposure of the floor to light.
• Window coverings such as drapes, curtains, shutters or blinds will drastically cut down on any UV and infrared light from reaching the floors.
• Window films – Apply this specialty film (ie. 3M) to your windows to cut down UV rays while still allowing some visible light to come in.
• Awnings – retractable or stationary designs will help blocking sun’s harmful rays from damaging your floors.
• Low-E glass windows – If building a new home or renovating and swapping out windows, consider low-emissivity glass windows to limit the amount of UV light from hitting your floors.
HOW TO SOLVE FADING AND LIGHTSENSITIVITY EFFECTS
If your floors have already faded, then the only (and best) option to solve the issue is by sanding and refinishing the floors with the help of a professional.
Many wood floors will display variation in colour from board to board. Some floors will have more variation than others depending on the species. This is not indicative of any fault in the floor, but is a natural occurrence with any wood product. Install boards simultaneously from several cartons to ensure good mix of colour and shading.
Water and wood do not mix. Any spills or liquids should be removed and wiped off your floor promptly and NEVER wet mop wood floors. Damage resulting from standing water or liquid is not covered by warranty.
All hardwood floors will scratch and dent depending on living conditions. Scratching and denting are excluded from warranty claims. Help protect floors by following these tips:
• Use mats and area rugs at entrances and high traffic areas.
• Place felt pads under legs of furniture and clean them regularly to prevent scratching your floor.
• Never wear high heels or stiletto shoes on wood flooring.
FINISHES & SPECIAL RECOMMENDATIONS
Pravada hardwood floors are pre-finished, meaning that they are factory sealed and ready to install and use. We pick different finishes to ensure that each colour looks and performs at its best. There are three main types of finishing sealers we work with: UV Lacquer, UV Oil and Hardwax.
Download the document below to learn how to protect your floors and make sure that they will continue to look and perform their best.
We manufacture the highest quality flooring for you and stand behind our products by offering you a 35-year limited residential warranty [for terms and conditions, please refer to Warranty
guidelines], you are solely responsible for maintaining and caring for your floors to ensure that they will remain beautiful for the long term.
Please visit our Care & Maintenance page
for more information.